This super-easy homemade paleo Butternut Squash Soup is full of butternut flavor and is perfect for when you’re craving something warm and creamy this winter.
- 3 lbs butternut squash, peeled, cut into chunks
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 48 oz chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Cut the 2 ends off of the butternut squash. Using a vegetable or potato peeler, start peeling the squash lengthwise. Make sure to peel the green lines off the squash. Cut into thick slices, then cut into medium-sized chunks.
- Place them on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat making sure it’s all covered in oil and seasonings. Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the edges start to brown.
- While the butternut is roasting in the oven, start on the rest of the soup. In a dutch oven saute the onions, celery and olive oil, until the vegetables are tender. Once they are soft, then add the nutmeg and cinnamon. Keep stirring so the spices don’t burn.
- Add in the vegetable broth.
- Take the butternut squash out of the oven, and transfer into the pot. Stir everything together. Bring the pot to a boil, then turn it down to simmer, with the lid on. Let simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, start pureeing the soup. Be sure to keep the blender fully immersed in the soup, to prevent it from splattering and burning you.
- Once it’s all blended, now taste it and see what it needs. Add salt, pepper, cinnamon, or nutmeg if needed. If it’s too thick then now is the time to add more vegetable broth.
- Keep on low heat until ready to serve.
10.2 NET CARBS per serving
Roasting the squash first is the best way to do it.
If using fresh butternut squash, cut the ends off and peel the skin. Then cut into thick slices and then chunks.
For a thinner soup, add more broth, but for a thicker soup add more squash or ½ tsp at a time of xanthan gum.
Go easy on the salt, the broth may add all the salt you need.
To freeze the soup place in either a container or in quart-sized Ziploc bags and place in the freezer
To thaw out, either leave in the fridge to thaw, on the counter, or put into a pot and put it on low heat.
You can add pumpkin or replace it with pumpkin if you prefer it.
- Category: Appetizers
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Butternut Squash Soup recipe, vegan Butternut Squash Soup, gluten-free Butternut Squash Soup, low carb Butternut Squash Soup, paleo Butternut Squash Soup, best Butternut Squash Soup recipe, easy Butternut Squash Soup recipe