This is a wonderful recipe for instant pot pulled pork. It is a favorite in our house with our friends and family, easy to make and always comes out tender and juicy. Instant pot pulled pork can be eaten with BBQ sauce or without. It can serve a crowd or just one person. Great to make a sandwich or to have on the side of one of your many favorite salads or hot side dishes.
- 4–5 lb pork butt
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (optional)
Preparing the Pork Butt:
- In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and paprika.
- Cut the pork butt into 4 equal-sized pieces.
- Season all sides of the pork with the spices.
Cooking the Pork Butt:
- Make sure the stainless steel insert is in your Instant Pot. Press the “saute” function. Wait for 2 to 3 minutes and add oil to the insert.
- Add 1-2 pieces of pork at a time, and sear on all sides.
- Once a piece has been seared on all sides, take it out and place it on a plate. Repeat until all the pieces are done.
- Press the “cancel/off” button.
- Add the water, apple cider vinegar, and liquid smoke to the IP and use a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the insert.
- Place all the pork back into the IP.
- Close the lid, set the valve to “sealing” position, and press the “pressure cooker” button. Set the timer to 90 minutes. The IP will beep and start coming to pressure. It is already hot, so it won’t take too long.
- Once the cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for at least 15 minutes. Once 15 minutes has passed, release any remaining pressure by hitting the vent knob from sealed to venting (be sure to do this in an open space and stand back from the Instant Pot.)
- Carefully open the lid away from your face. Place the pork on a plate or in a bowl. Using 2 forks shred the pork, it should be really easy and will shred quickly.
- Once the pork is all shredded, add your favorite BBQ sauce and serve.
0.8 NET CARBS PER ½ CUP SERVING (DOES NOT INCLUDE BBQ SAUCE)
Be sure to use a pork butt or pork shoulder, which are fattier cuts. If you use a pork loin, which is too lean, it will not come out as tender and will be too hard to shred.
If your pork butt is frozen and you forget to thaw it out, no worries because you can cook it frozen, but you will have to skip the step of searing it ahead of time. Just be sure to increase your cooking time.
Serve your pulled pork sandwich on a toasted roll, which will keep it from getting soggy.
Do not waste the liquid that is in the instant pot. Save it in a container and use it to flavor your cooked veggies for extra flavor. You can also freeze it and take it out to add to your next soup or stew.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Instant Pot Pulled Pork, Pulled Pork in the Instant Pot, Instapot Pulled Pork, Instant Pot Pulled Pork Recipe, Instant Pot Shredded Pork, Instant Pot BBQ Pork, Pressure Cooker Pulled Pork, Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Pork, BBQ Pulled Pork in the Instant Pot, Instant Pot Pork, Easy Instant Pot Pulled Pork, Pulled Pork in the Pressure Cooker, Instant Pot Pork Recipe, Pulled Pork Recipe, BBQ Recipe