Low Carb Keto Eggplant Parmesan is a classic Italian recipe that so many people love. The tender eggplant slices are coated in a crispy almond flour coating, smothered in marinara sauce and topped with gooey cheese then baked to perfection. It’s a great comfort food for any time you need it without all the carbs!
- 2 small-medium eggplants, sliced ⅛” inch – ¼” inch thick
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Slice the ends off the eggplants, and using a vegetable peeler, peel the eggplants. Cut into round slices ⅛”-¼” thick. Try to cut even slices.
- Line a baking tray with paper towels, and place the slices on the baking tray. Sprinkle all the slices with salt, then flip over and sprinkle the other side. Let sit for 30 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels after the 30 minutes is up.
- In one bowl whisk 2 eggs and set aside. In a second bowl combine the almond flour, parmesan cheese, seasonings, and then mix together.
- Dip the eggplant slices into the egg mixture, then move to the flour mixture, making sure to evenly coat each piece of eggplant. Place the slices onto a tray while you finish dipping the rest of the eggplant.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, making sure the oil is hot enough before adding the eggplant slices. Once the oil is hot add the slices to the pan, making sure not to overcrowd them. About 6-7 pieces per batch.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side or until each side is golden brown. Transfer to a baking tray, while you cook the rest of the eggplant in batches.
- In an 8×8 baking dish put a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom. Place one layer of eggplant slices in the baking dish, add a few spoonfuls of tomato sauce over the eggplant, then add a layer of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layering 2 more times. You should be able to have 3 layers of eggplant with sauce and cheese. For the final top layer, add tomato sauce and the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees or until the cheese is completely melted and has started to bubble.
8 NET CARBS PER SERVING
“Sweating” the eggplant first is a must-do. Sprinkle salt on both sides of the eggplant slices and let sit for 30 minutes. It will help take the moisture out of the eggplant before cooking it.
If leaving the skin on then make sure to wash the eggplant first. But if you are peeling the eggplants there is no need to wash ahead of time.
Cut slices into ⅛”-¼” thick slices.
Adding some fresh basil in between the eggplant layers will give you some nice flavor.
If you want to add some extra protein, then add ground sausage or ground beef in between the layers as well.
Try not to use pre-shredded mozzarella cheese if possible. Use freshly grated instead.
Broil for a few minutes at the end of the baking time, if you want the cheese to get brown and crispy.
You don’t want to add too much sauce, because the sauce shouldn’t overpower the eggplant.
- Category: Main Courses
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Keto Eggplant Parmesan, Low Carb Eggplant Parmesan, Keto Eggplant Parmesan Recipe, Low Carb Eggplant Parmesan Recipe, Easy Keto Eggplant Parmesan, Best Keto Eggplant Parmesan, Easy Low Carb Eggplant Parmesan, The Best Low Carb Eggplant Parmesan, Eggplant Parmesan, How to Make Keto Eggplant Parmesan, Keto Melanzane all Parmigiana