This Keto Sausage Gravy recipe is a Southern tradition for breakfast, and uses ingredients that allow you to stay on your low carb diet. It is quick, easy, and very tasty, so much so that you will not believe that you are eating something low carb!!
Along with this gravy try our low carb biscuit recipe too, a perfect combination for a hearty breakfast. Make them both ahead and you will have your breakfast in a few minutes.
- 1 pound Sausage, ground
- 2 Tbsp Butter, softened
- 3 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
- ¾ cup Heavy Cream
- ½ cup Chicken Broth
- ¼ tsp Xanthan Gum
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- Our first step is to get your ground sausage and stick it into the frying pan. Over medium heat, start to cook it, breaking it up into small pieces. Continue to stir the meat, cooking it until there is no more pink left.
- Next cut up the butter and cream cheese and then add them to the frying pan with the meat. Continue to stir them into the meat as they melt and blend fully.
- Now add the broth and cream while continuing to stir. Add the spices too at this point.
- This is also the time that you should add the xanthan gum so it can start to thicken the gravy. A little goes a long way so don’t be tempted to use more than the recipe calls for. Blend everything together thoroughly.
- Serve on top of a keto biscuit that you have already sliced in half. Enjoy!
2.2 NET CARBS PER SERVING (¼ CUP SERVING)
If the gravy is too thick add another ¼ cup of broth to thin it out.
If the gravy is too thin add extra cream cheese 1 tablespoon at a time.
If you want the keto sausage gravy to be less salty then add low sodium broth, use no salt butter and omit the added salt.
Use any type of sausage that you want, sweet, hot, or breakfast style.
Beware not to use too much xanthan gum because it really thickens quite a bit, which will be way too much, and then you will have a thick mess that you will now have to add more liquid to thin out.
If you have never used xanthan gum before, sometimes you can find it in your grocery store in the baking aisle, if not you will have to go online to order it.
Reheating: It is easy to reheat the sausage gravy. Do it one of two ways:
Microwave: Heat the gravy in a bowl for 1-2 minutes.
Stove: Heat up the gravy in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat, stirring for about 5 minutes.
Storing: The gravy can be stored in an airtight container and kept in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Freezing: This is one recipe that does not do well in the refrigerator, so enjoy the leftovers in a few days instead. It separates and hence will not heat up too well.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Sauce/Dip
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Keto Sausage Gravy, Low Carb Sausage Gravy, Keto Sausage Gravy Recipe, Keto Country Gravy, Keto Breakfast Gravy, Low Carb Breakfast Gravy