This easy baked spaghetti squash casserole is the perfect low carb comfort food! When you’re craving pasta, try this healthy alternative instead. It’s the perfect weeknight dinner for you and your family.
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 6 cups spaghetti squash (1 whole spaghetti squash)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse the spaghetti squash to remove any dirt. Pat dry. Using a large chef’s knife, insert it into the squash cutting it in half lengthwise. Be careful, cut slowly. Once the squash is cut, use a spoon and scoop out the seeds and flesh.
- Drizzle olive oil over the squash and season with salt and pepper. Bake squash face down on a baking tray for about 45-60 minutes.
- To make the homemade meat ragu: In a medium frying pan add the sausage, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Sautee until sausage is completely cooked. Add in about ⅓ of the tomato sauce, stir together then transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
- Once the squash is done, take it out of the oven and flip it over. Using a fork, pull squash out making strands. Transfer to the frying pan.
- Pour half of the remaining tomato sauce over the squash, mix together then add remaining squash and sauce. Toss the squash to make sure it’s covered in sauce. Now add the meat ragu to the squash and toss until it’s mixed in. Sprinkle in about 1 ½ cups of mozzarella and mix together.
- Transfer the squash to a casserole dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbling. Broil for 2-3 minutes if needed.
- 5.7 NET CARBS PER SERVING.
- 6 different ways to cut spaghetti squash.
- For the meat ragu, you can use sausage, ground beef, turkey, or chicken.
- To make it vegan replace the meat with sauteed veggies instead and completely take the cheese out or use vegan cheese.
- The casserole can be made up to a day ahead of time, keep stored in the fridge until ready to bake.
- It can be stored in an airtight container then put in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge before ready to reheat in the oven.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60-90 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Spaghetti Squash Casserole, Spaghetti Squash Casserole Recipe, best Spaghetti Squash Casserole, easy Spaghetti Squash Casserole, how to make Spaghetti Squash Casserole, low carb Spaghetti Squash Casserole, keto Spaghetti Squash Casserole