These Keto Cheese Chips are one of the best low carb snacks and are a piece of cake to make. They can be made plain or in several different varieties, there is a flavor for everyone!
Has anyone else thought that it can be a challenge to find something to dip into their keto dip recipes? Yes, veggie sticks are always good but sometimes you just don’t want another cucumber or celery stick.
For that reason, cheese chips are all the rage now! That’s right you can make your own keto cheese chips using just some shredded cheddar cheese and in 8 minutes they are ready to chow down on.
I’m sure you have seen them at the grocery store but honestly, they are super expensive. It’s a way better bang for your buck making your own. If you have tried our Parmesan Crisps Recipe then you already know how quick and easy it is to make them.
What are Keto Cheese Chips?
What are keto cheese chips? Well, basically they are exactly how they sound….shredded cheddar cheese made into crisps or crackers. They have become all the rage in the last several years and you can buy them at most grocery stores.
They can be very expensive for a small little bag of them. So, instead of spending lots of money on pre-made keto cheese chips you can just make your own crisps.
I’m not sure who invented these but whoever did they are brilliant. Cheddar cheese crisps are a great low carb and keto snack while being a perfect on-the-go option, which let’s face it when eating low carb makes eating on-the-go tough at times.
Do they Taste Like Real Chips?
These keto cheese chips have the same crunchy texture as most other types of chips, but they taste like cheese. I don’t know about you, but that’s a great combo for me.
Cheese Crisps Benefits
Who would have thought that eating cheese crisps or cheese chips actually has good benefits? I didn’t know….hahaha.
But here are some of the benefits I found:
- High Protein Snack – Making chips using cheese is a great way to get in some extra protein.
- Source of Calcium – Cheese chips are made entirely out of cheese which is a good source of calcium.
- Ready in only 8 minutes!
How Many Carbs are in Keto Cheese Crisps?
Seeing that eating cheddar cheese while on keto or a low carb diet is perfectly acceptable, that also means eating keto cheddar cheese crisps is perfectly acceptable!
- 1 Cheddar Cheese Crisp has only 0.2 NET CARBS, 21 CALORIES, and 1.9 grams of PROTEIN.
It’s a great low carb snack, to eat by itself and also perfect for dipping.
Low Carb Chip Alternatives
Nowadays low carb chip alternatives have really taken off! Sometimes you really just crave that crunch that you would get naturally from a potato chip and though you can’t eat potatoes on a low carb diet, thankfully we have some great keto chip options for you.
A few of my favorites are:
What Ingredients are in Cheese Chips?
Cheddar Cheese – That’s it. There is only one basic ingredient to make these cheese chips. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t add spices to some of them.
What is the Best Cheese to Use for Cheese Chips?
My favorite cheese to use when making cheese chips is gonna be cheddar. However, there are some other great cheeses that will work too.
You could make these chips using just one of the following cheeses or you can get fancy and even try mixing them.
- Mexican Cheese Blend
Different Variations of Keto Cheese Crisps
There are lots of different ways to spice up your homemade cheddar cheese chips. When you think of cheddar crisps, think about crackers and all the different varieties of crackers. Different things you can add are:
- Everything Bagel Seasoning – a personal favorite lately…goes with so many things
- Italian Seasoning – will add a nice Tuscan flavor
- Black Cracked Pepper
- Ranch Seasoning
- Fresh Dill or Rosemary
- Garlic Powder
- Sprinkle of Cayenne Pepper – for a spicy kick
- Pizza Crisps – a tiny bit of tomato paste, dried oregano
- Taco Cheese Crisps – cheddar or Mexican cheese blend with a sprinkle of taco seasoning.
- Jalapeno Popper Crisps – Cheddar cheese with cooked bacon and a jalapeno slice.
How to Make Baked Keto Cheese Chips
Let’s talk about how to make cheese chips, it’s so easy!
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Step 2: Take your block of cheddar cheese and shred it using a box grater.
Step 3: Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Step 4: Using a measuring spoon, add a ½ tablespoon of the shredded cheddar cheese to the baking tray. Lightly pat down the circle with your fingers or the palm of your hand.
Step 5: Repeat 11 more times, leaving a space in between each circle. Keep in mind, my tray fits 12 but yours might fit less. Don’t overcrowd them.
Step 6: Bake for 8 minutes or until the edges start to crisp up.
Step 7: Let the crisps cool down, then remove them from the tray. Place on paper towels to soak up any excess grease from the cheese.
FAQs & Best Tips
Here are a few of our favorite tips to make them come out perfect each time:
- Line the baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, to prevent the cheese crisps from sticking to the tray.
- The thinner you make the crisps, the crispier they will be. If you make them too thick they will be too chewy and you won’t get that CRUNCH.
- Before removing crisps off the baking tray, make sure they are completely cooled off otherwise they might break.
- When taking the crisps off the tray, transfer them to paper towels to soak up any excess grease from the cheese.
- Rather than making individual round cheddar cheese crisps, you can make one big baking sheet of cheddar and break it apart after it’s cooled down.
- Baked cheese crisps can be made with cheddar cheese or parmesan, or a combo of both.
- Adding herbs or spices will give you more flavor.
How to Make Cheese Chips Crispy?
To ensure you get your cheese chips crispy you need to make sure you bake them long enough, otherwise they will be chewy. In my oven, baking them at 400 degrees for 8 minutes they come out perfectly.
Can I Substitute Cheddar for a Different Kind of Cheese?
Sure thing! Feel free to swap the cheddar cheese with parmesan, mozzarella, gouda, or another hard cheese of your choice.
Can I Use Sliced Cheese or Does it have to Be Shredded?
I used shredded because it’s easy to form nice round circles and I like using a fresh block of cheese.
You can also use cheese slices, but the best way to do that is to line a baking tray with parchment paper. Then cover the tray with cheese slices and bake. Then cut into triangle or square pieces.
How to Serve Keto Cheese Crisps
There’s a lot of different things you can serve with your cheese whisps. Here’s a handful of ideas I came up with. Along with our homemade Low Carb Tortilla Chips, these cheese crisps will solve all your dipping needs.
Delicious low carb appetizers to dip:
- Pepperoni Pizza Dip
- French Onion Dip
- Keto Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Mango Salsa
- Avocado Salsa
- Homemade Salsa
- Crab Dip
How to Store Cheese Chips and Keep them Crispy?
The best way to store cheese crisps is in an air-tight container at room temperature for 2-4 days.
Keep them stored away from humidity, moisture and keep them sealed tightly. To help them stay crispy, place a piece of wax paper or parchment paper in between each layer of crisps.
Do Cheese Crisps Need to Be Refrigerated?
Storing cheese crisps in the refrigerator will make them last a little bit longer, but they may lose their crispiness. I tend to just store them on my kitchen counter and they are fine.
Can You Freeze Cheddar Cheese Chips?
Homemade cheese whisps can be frozen. Place the crisps in an airtight container and place them in the freezer for a few months.
Something to keep in mind is that they may not be nearly as crispy once they are defrosted because of the ice crystals and humidity that can form. Eating them fresh is always the best idea, but having the option of freezing them is nice too.
Cheddar Cheese Chips vs. Parmesan Crisps
The two most common types of cheeses used to make low carb cheese chips are cheddar and parmesan. Both kinds of cheese yield just slightly different cheese chips.
- Parmesan crisps are gonna be just a bit crispier, and definitely way saltier.
- Cheddar cheese chips are a bit more of a challenge. If you don’t cook them long enough they will be soft and chewy, but if you overcook them the cheddar will burn.
So the question is, which one is better? It’s your personal preference! Both are delicious! Try our parmesan crisps recipe and find out for yourself which is better!
Tools to Use
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Tray
- Cheese Shredded
- Cooling Tray
Other Diets This Recipe is Good For
These cheddar cheese chips are not only a good keto or low carb snack they are also completely gluten-free and also sugar-free. Seeing that there is no sugar or gluten in cheddar cheese, it makes them an even better snack for those of you with dietary restrictions.
Other Low Carb Chip Recipes
Try a few of our other low carb chip recipes that we have:
- Low Carb Tortilla Chips
- Parmesan Crisps
- Crispy Baked Zucchini Chips
- Radish Chips – Recipe coming soon!
All of them are Keto-friendly and low carb, and will have your friends raving!Print
Keto Cheese Chips
- Total Time: 13 minutes
- Yield: 32 Servings (1 Chip per Serving)
These Keto Cheese Chips are the best low carb snack and are a piece of cake to make. They can be made plain or in several different varieties, there is a flavor for everyone!
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Shred the cheese using a box grater.
- Place parchment paper over a baking tray, or use a silicone baking mat.
- Add a heaping ½ tablespoon of shredded cheddar cheese to the baking tray, then lightly pat down the circle with your fingers.
- Repeat 11 more times, leaving a space in between each circle.
- Bake for 6 minutes. Cool before removing from the baking tray. Once cooled, transfer to paper towels to soak up any excess grease from the cheese.
0.2 NET CARBS PER CRISP
Line the baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, to prevent the cheddar whisps from sticking to the tray.
The thinner you make the crisps, the crispier they will be. If you make them too thick they will be too chewy.
Before removing crisps off the baking tray, make sure they are completely cooled off otherwise they might break.
When taking the cheese whisps off the tray, transfer to paper towels to soak up any excess grease from the cheese.
Rather than making individual round cheddar chips, you can make one big baking sheet of cheddar and break it apart after it’s cooled down.
Baked cheese crisps can be made with cheddar cheese or parmesan, or a combo of both.
Adding herbs or spices will give you more flavor.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Keto Cheese Chips, Cheese Crisps, Cheese Chips, Cheese Whisps, Keto Cheese Crisps, Baked Cheese Chips, How to Make Cheese Chips, How to Make Cheese Crisps, Cheddar Cheese Crisps, Cheddar Cheese Chips, Baked Cheese Crisps, Cheese Crisp Recipe, Homemade Cheese Crisps, Cheddar Chips, Cheese Chips Recipe, Keto Snacks, Good Keto Snacks, Easy Keto Cheese Chips, Best Keto Cheese Chips, Easy Cheese Chips, Best Cheese Crisps