This is a recipe for Keto Cloud Bread, or you may have heard of it by its nickname: oopsie bread. It is so easy to make and delicious to eat, all made from simple ingredients that you probably have hanging around your kitchen.
This Keto cloud bread is a healthy recipe that is a great substitute for bread which you likely have given up. It is low in carbs and naturally gluten free which is good for a lot of people. It is easy and quick to make.
Cloud bread makes good sandwiches for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and snacks in between. It is light and airy, and can have different varieties just by changing the spices inside or on top. At least now you can make sandwiches and still be on a low carb diet!
What is Cloud Bread?
Cloud bread is a low carb bread that is light and airy and can replace traditional bread without using any flour at all. It is just made from 4 simple ingredients which are probably hanging around your kitchen.
The original no carb cloud bread recipe came from Dr Atkins and was called his revolutionary rolls, which was in his book in 1972.
What Does Keto Cloud Bread Taste Like?
Keto cloud bread has a neutral taste and it is very light and airy. Some people say that it tastes a little eggy but many don’t notice an egg flavor at all.
If you are looking for more flavor you can certainly add some garlic powder or onion powder in the batter or you can even add your favorite spices or herbs on top like you would a bagel.
If you are looking for a sweeter taste, feel free to add some cinnamon or a low carb sweetener, like powdered Swerve.
Is Cloud Bread Low Carb?
Yes the cloud bread is low carb. When you look at the list of ingredients you can see why this is the case. In fact each piece of low carb cloud bread is only 0.6 NET Carbs per serving.
That is really incredible because you can have a sandwich with it for breakfast or lunch and still stay perfectly in range with carbs for the meal. It also makes a good keto afternoon snack with some butter spread all over it.
What Ingredients are in Keto Cloud Bread?
- Eggs – The eggs will be separated, yolks in one bowl and whites in another one. They are used to help bind the cloud bread together.
- Cream Cheese – A good ingredient that gives some body into a lot of low carb breads.
- Cream of Tartar – This is used when whipping up the egg whites to help create a texture that will make your cloud bread light and airy.
- Salt – Gives the oopsie bread a little flavor, just like salt does to a lot of recipes.
So that you never get tired of the same recipe, you can experiment with changing the flavor of the oopsie bread with some tasty ingredients to add to it. Here are a few suggestions of things to put on the top of your cloud buns:
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Sesame Seeds
- Poppy Seeds
- Italian Seasoning
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
Making Cloud Bread Without Cream of Tartar
If you are like me, cream of tartar is not a staple in your spice cabinet. When I went to make these oopsie breads for the first time I had to go out to the store and buy some cream of tartar because the one we had in our kitchen had expired 5 years ago.
If you don’t have any at home, that’s ok. You can replace the cream of tartar with baking powder in your oopsie bread recipe, which is something that is in most kitchens and up to date because it is used more often. The baking powder does a good job in keeping the egg whites firm too.
How to Make Keto Cloud Bread from Scratch
Keto cloud bread is very easy to make and we will show you how step-by-step:
STEP 1: Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Then get a cookie sheet and line it with a piece of parchment paper.
STEP 2: In one bowl beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
STEP 3: In a 2nd bowl beat the softened cream cheese, egg yolks, and salt until smooth.
STEP 4: Carefully fold the egg whites into the egg yolks with a spatula, and be careful not to break down the air bubbles in the whites.
STEP 5: Scoop the cloud buns mixture out onto the parchment paper into 6 circular spots.
STEP 6: Bake approx. 30 minutes, until golden color.
STEP 7: Cool for about 10 minutes and then slice the oopsie rolls for your favorite sandwich.
How Long to Bake Cloud Bread?
When making low carb cloud bread, it bakes at the low temperature of 300 degrees and takes about 25-35 minutes depending on your oven.
Can I Make the Tic-Tok Version of Cloud Bread?
If you want giant and fluffy puffs of bread, then you are talking about TikTok cloud bread. You probably have seen it since it went viral and became a huge craze!
This is made from egg whites, sugar and cornstarch. For a keto version use a low carb sweetener and instead of cornstarch you could use xanthan gum.
You can make this version of cloud bread using the following substitutions:
- Omit the egg yolks and the cream cheese
- Add 2 ½ Tbsp of allulose or erythritol
- Replace the cream of tartar with xanthan gum or cornstarch
When you whip up the egg whites and sugar or sweetener you get meringue. Then add the cornstarch or xanthan gum as a binder to give it more structure. Then add some food coloring to make it colorful and fun.
FAQs and Best Tips
We will answer some of the commonly asked questions and also give you some important tips to be successful at making this recipe.
- When adding the egg whites to the egg yolks make sure to gently fold them in so that they do not lose their fluffy air bubbles.
- Do not use wax paper to line your cookie sheet. Make sure to use parchment paper.
- Do not overcook your keto cloud bread or it will burn and you will say “oopsie”!!
- Start with a clean, dry bowl to whip the egg whites so that they will whip better.
- Also make sure that no egg yolk gets in the whites otherwise the fat from the yolk will inhibit the whites from whipping up.
- Make sure the keto cloud bread is fully cooled off before removing them from the baking sheet or else they will tear apart.
How to Make Cloud Bread Thicker?
There are a couple of ways that you can make your oopsie bread thicker:
- Make it thicker simply by scooping the batter into taller mounds on your cookie sheet.
- You can add some almond flour to the batter which will in turn make your cloud bread thicker too.
Cooling the Bread After Cooking?
There is no need for an extensive amount of cooling off after coming out of the oven. I would suggest just leaving them on the parchment paper for about 10 minutes and then they are cool enough to slice and eat your sandwich.
How to Use Cloud Bread
Oopsie/cloud bread can be used for any type of sandwich as if it were traditional bread, so don’t let it fool you. Here are a few possibilities but the sky’s the limit, so be creative!
- BLT with added cheddar cheese.
- Pizza with any type of your favorite toppings.
- Tuna sandwich or tuna melt.
- Steak sandwich with peppers and onions.
- Everything bagel seasoning on top.
- Egg salad sandwich.
Other Diets This Recipe is Good For
Besides a low carb diet, here are some other diets this recipe is good for:
- Nut-free – There are no nuts in cloud/oopsie bread.
- Gluten-free – It’s another winning recipe without gluten.
- Sugar-free – No sugar in this recipe for cloud bread.
- Vegetarian – A good choice for vegetarians that choose to eat dairy.
- Dairy-free – If you use mayonnaise instead of cream cheese then your cloud bread will be dairy free.
How to Store Oopsie Bread
Oopsie bread is best stored in the refrigerator for about 5 days. So that they don’t stick together, put some parchment paper in between each piece.
Does Keto Cloud Bread Need to be Refrigerated?
The keto cloud bread does not have to be refrigerated if you are going to use it within a couple of days. After that, then you need to refrigerate them.
How Long Does Keto Cloud Bread Last?
- If you keep your cloud bread on the counter, it will last about 2-3 days at room temperature.
- If you refrigerate your cloud bread, then it will last about a week.
Can You Freeze Keto Cloud Bread?
Stick the oopsie bread on a plate or small tray lined with parchment paper and freeze for 2 hours. Be sure that they can lay flat and do not overlap each other.
If you need to, freeze them in batches rather than trying to cram them in all at once.
Once they are frozen you can remove them from the tray or plate and stack them on top of each other in a plastic container, by putting parchment paper in between each piece of cloud bread, which will keep them from sticking to each other.
Since they are pretty delicate we recommend eating the frozen cloud bread within 2-3 weeks.
TIP: Be sure to use parchment paper and not wax paper.
Tools to Use
- Cookie Sheet – To cook the oopsie bread on.
- Parchment Paper – This is used to line the cookie sheet with so your cloud bread doesn’t stick.
- 2 Bowls – 1 is for the egg whites and the other one is for the egg yolks, then everything gets combined into one.
- Electric Mixer – This is needed to whip up the ingredients in both bowls.
Can You Buy Cloud Bread?
Everything always tastes better homemade vs store bought, plus usually when you make something it costs less than buying it pre-made.
However, sometimes we like the convenience of buying something already pre made. If you are looking to buy cloud bread instead of making it, there is a company called “ The Cloud Bread Company”. Go to thecloudbreadcompany.com and place an order.
Other Similar Recipes
There is nothing quite the same as cloud bread but there are plenty of low carb bread and roll recipes that you can make. We have a few of them on our website:
- Keto Hamburger Buns
- Keto Almond Flour Tortillas
- Keto Dinner Rolls
- Keto Almond Flour Biscuits
- Keto Chaffles
Keto Cloud Bread | Low Carb Oopsie Bread
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
Have you ever heard of Keto Cloud Bread or its nickname, Oopsie Bread? It’s made from simple ingredients and is a very light replacement for bread which can be used to make any kind of sandwich that you desire! Just change the seasonings that you put on them and it will change the flavor of your bread.
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp– heaping cream of tartar
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
- Get a baking sheet and line it with a piece of parchment paper.
- Separate the eggs into 2 bowls.
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
- In the 2nd bowl beat the softened cream cheese, egg yolks and salt until smooth.
- Fold the egg whites into the egg yolks with a spatula, carefully so that you don’t break down the air bubbles in the whites.
- Scoop the mixture out onto the parchment paper into 6 circular spots.
- Bake about 30 minutes until golden.
- Cool for about 10 minutes and then slice the cloud bread for your favorite sandwich.
0.6 NET Carbs
If you don’t have parchment paper in the house feel free to bake the cloud bread on a silicone mat.
When the ingredients are at room temperature then the cloud bread will cook better.
When adding the egg whites to the yolks make sure to use a folding motion carefully so as not to break down the peaks, which also means not to over-mix it.
Make sure to bake the oopsie bread at a low temperature so that they do not burn.
Storing: Cloud bread will stay good on the counter in an air-tight plastic container for only 1-2 days so after that you need to put them in the refrigerator for another few days.
Reheating: Cloud bread can be reheated in the toaster or toaster oven but very quickly so that they do not burn.
Freezing: Fortunately if you have extra cloud bread they freeze well and will stay fresh for 2-3 weeks. Do not thaw it out ahead of time, instead just stick the frozen oopsie bread in the toaster straight from the freezer.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Keto Cloud Bread, Cloud Bread, Cloud Bread Recipe, Oopsie Bread, Keto Oopsie Bread, Keto Cloud Bread Recipe, Recipe for Cloud Bread, Oopsie Bread Recipe, Low Carb Cloud Bread, Best Cloud Bread Recipe, Oopsie Rolls, Cloud Buns