Keto Brussel sprouts are a delicious recipe that you are going to want to learn how to make. They are creamy, and cheesy which will become one of your favorite veggie dishes to make for years to come. The garlic flavor along with everyone’s favorite meat, that’s right, BACON…what more could you ask for.
Who would have thought that Brussel sprouts could become your favorite vegetable?
So many people say that they don’t like Brussel sprouts but as soon as they try our keto, cheesy ones they soon change their mind and these low carb Brussel sprouts become one of their favorite foods.
We’re torn between these and making roasted Brussel Sprouts in the oven, again with bacon!
They are super easy to make and we are sure they will become a favorite for your family too!
What are Creamy Garlic Parmesan Brussel Sprouts?
Creamy garlic parmesan Brussel sprouts are just what they sound like. The creamy texture of the best cheese and garlic sauce poured over these little green pillows and garnished with everyone’s’ favorite meat…that’s right BACON!
Keto Brussel sprouts are baked in the oven with mozzarella cheese on top, adding more creaminess and flavor to these sprouts.
Are Brussel Sprouts Healthy?
Like most vegetables, Brussel sprouts are very healthy for us. They are packed with vitamins and minerals and other nutrients. They are also good for weight loss and only have 28 calories per serving.
Brussel sprouts are high in fiber, and antioxidants, which makes them good for your blood sugar, and are high in Omega 3 which makes them heart-healthy. They are high in vitamins A, C, and K.
Are Brussel Sprouts Keto?
Brussel sprouts are keto-friendly and a great low carb vegetable to eat. For 1 cup there are only 38 calories and 4.5 NET Carbs.
In our keto Brussel sprouts recipe, we use 11 cups of Brussel sprouts and put them together with all of the ingredients, including a cheesy garlic sauce.
Each ½ cup serving has 199 calories and 3.4 NET Carbs, so enjoy them and still keep within your macros.
What Ingredients are in Keto Brussel Sprouts?
- Brussel Sprouts – The main ingredient, and a healthy, low carb veggie.
- Bacon – Who doesn’t love bacon? It really makes the dish! We like using bigger pieces so you can really taste it in the dish.
- Garlic – A spice that gives food a sensational flavor, it turns bland foods into delicious foods.
- Parmesan Cheese – I usually use grated but you can also use shredded, whatever you prefer.
- Mozzarella Cheese – Any type of mozzarella, low fat, skim or whole milk. We always use the whole milk shredded one.
- Heavy Cream – This is the base for the cream sauce and is used a lot in keto cooking, including these creamy Brussel sprouts.
- Butter – You can use the regular butter or unsalted butter, whichever you prefer.
- Bacon Grease – A couple of tablespoons is just enough to really flavor and coat the sprouts. Mixed together with the butter is a nice combo.
- Salt & Pepper – To your liking.
Fresh vs Frozen Brussel Sprouts
We prefer using fresh Brussel sprouts to make this easy keto Brussel sprouts recipe. I always think that if it’s possible fresh veggies are always the best. They are crisper, and tastier because of their freshness.
Frozen ones are good too and can certainly be used in keto Brussel sprouts. They are especially helpful when you can’t find fresh sprouts in the store. It’s also easier to buy frozen ones since they come already trimmed and are less work to do.
What Garlic Should I Use?
Fresh garlic is the best, if you can get it or if you have it at home. If you are like us, we love to keep fresh garlic on hand at all times for times like this when we want to make recipes like these creamy garlic parmesan Brussel sprouts.
Sometimes we run out of the fresh kind so we also keep a jar of chopped garlic in our refrigerators. It’s also a good choice when you are in a hurry because it’s already chopped and ready to go.
Fresh garlic has a much stronger taste than jarred garlic, so we have found that if you use pre-chopped garlic you may have to use a little more to get that delicious flavor in this keto Brussel sprouts recipe.
Using Heavy Cream
Heavy cream is used a lot in keto recipes because it is low carb and high in fat. In this low carb Brussel sprouts recipe, we use heavy cream as the base for the cheesy sauce that you pour over them.
Milk has too many carbs, about double the amount of heavy cream, and at the same time, it’s too thin to make a sauce for creamed Brussel sprouts. It would just be more carbs without the creamy texture so avoid using it.
Do I Have to Add Bacon to these Brussel Sprouts?
You certainly do not have to add bacon to this Keto Brussel sprouts casserole, if you don’t want to. They are still amazing with just the creamy, cheesy sauce that is covering them.
However, if you do not put bacon in your creamed Brussel sprouts, then you will not have the bacon grease to fry them in. In that case, you can use extra butter or an oil of your choice, olive or avocado…etc.
How to Pick Out Brussel Sprouts
When you pick out the Brussel sprouts for your keto Brussel sprouts recipe, make sure that they are bright green without a bunch of brown or withered leaves on them. They can be small, medium, or large in size as long as they are firm and bright green.
They should also be heavy for their size and not light. This indicates they are really fresh and not turning bad.
TIP: When the sprouts are small they are usually more tender and sweeter than real big ones.
When shopping for them at the grocery store you will find them either on a stalk, loose, or in a bag, and either is fine for this recipe. If you buy them on a stalk then cut them off the stalk before storing them in an open bowl in the refrigerator.
If you get them at a farm market or grow them yourself in your backyard, the sprouts usually taste better after the first frost. The cold adds to their sweetness.
Different Variations of Keto Brussel Sprouts
If you would like to try other variations of our keto brussel sprout recipe, there are plenty of things you can add to them to change the flavor.
Here are some ideas of other meats to use instead of bacon:
- Kielbasa or smoked sausage
- Pork loin
- Ground beef
- Corned beef
Another option is to make these low carb Brussel sprouts meat-free. Leave out the meat altogether and just use the cheeses to make cheesy Brussel sprouts.
You can also add some spice to your creamy garlic parmesan Brussel sprouts with some crushed red pepper flakes or even add some fresh jalapeno peppers. Keep them small because you don’t want them to overpower the flavor of the keto roasted Brussel sprouts.
Cream Sauces for Keto Brussel Sprouts
The cream sauce adds such a nice flavor and texture to the recipe, that if you don’t really like the flavor of Brussel sprouts, you almost forget you are eating them.
Anyone who loves eating dairy will be so happy with our cream sauce. It’s garlic with heavy cream, parmesan, and mozzarella cheeses! When cooked the sauce is both creamy at the base, and stringy on top, making for the perfect combination for creamed Brussel sprouts.
You can also make Keto Brussel sprouts Au Gratin which uses cheddar cheese, much like potatoes au gratin.
A sour cream-based sauce is a good replacement for heavy cream. It will make your sauce be a little thicker than using cream. You can also use mayo in place of heavy cream for these creamed Brussel sprouts and it will make the sauce thicker.
To keep it on the simpler side you can just make a sauce with melted butter and spices, poured over the top of the Brussel sprouts and bacon, and then baked in the oven.
Tools to Use
In order to make your keto Brussel sprouts casserole, there aren’t too many tools that you will need except these few things:
- Large cutting board.
- A good knife for cutting the sprouts and the bacon.
- A large dutch oven to fry the sprouts in and then to bake them in. This is the easiest because it’s an all-in-one dish for this recipe.
- As an alternative, you can use a large frying pan for the stove and a casserole dish for the oven.
- A wooden spoon to stir and to serve with.
Preparing Brussel Sprouts
Now it’s time to give you step by step instructions of all of the steps in putting together your keto roasted Brussel sprouts. We’ll look at how to wash, cut, and prepare them.
Do I Have to Wash Brussel Sprouts Before Cooking?
Even though you might want to skip this step, it’s important to wash your Brussel sprouts before cooking them. You should wash them because a lot of times they are dirty or dusty, so just rinse them off in cold water. You certainly don’t want dirt in your keto Brussel sprouts casserole.
It only takes about 30 seconds to wash Brussel sprouts so take the time and do it right.
Do I Have to Cut Brussel Sprouts In Half?
You can leave them whole if you prefer but I think it’s best if you cut the Brussel sprouts in half for this recipe.
By cutting the sprouts in half there are now 4 sides that can get covered with oil and seasonings instead of just 2 sides when you keep them whole, which means more flavor will get into them.
- The best way to cut the Brussel sprouts is to get a large cutting board and your favorite knife.
- Pull off any dead or brown leaves and throw them away.
- Hold the sprout in one hand and the knife in the other. Cut off the brown end at the bottom.
- Next cut the sprouts in half from top to bottom and place them all in a large bowl.
How to Make Creamy Keto Brussel Sprouts
Now that we have talked about how to wash them and cut them, it’s time to start putting everything together for the keto Brussel sprouts casserole.
Cooking the Bacon
STEP 1: The first thing we need to do is cook the bacon to get it prepared to add to your keto Brussel sprouts with bacon. One way to do that is by cooking the bacon on the top of the stove in a cast-iron frying pan or dutch oven that you can then put in the stove.
However, cooking bacon in the oven is a lot easier than cooking it on the stove. There is less mess and you don’t have to stand there frying it. Just pop it in, set the timer, and take it out when it’s done.
If you end up cooking it in the oven though, make sure to transfer the bacon grease to your Brussel sprouts pan because we need to fry them in that.
STEP 2: Once the bacon is cooked, set it aside. When it cools off you can cut it up into bite-size pieces, usually about 6 pieces per slice.
Slicing the Garlic
STEP 3: Next we need to chop the garlic. There isn’t a specific way you need to chop or slice the garlic for this keto Brussel sprouts recipe and you can do it the way you normally do. However, when the garlic is small it will go farther than if it’s not cut up and it gives off more flavor.
If you have a garlic press that also works well. You just pop the garlic bulb inside and press it and watch the garlic shoot out.
Now that you have prepared your bacon, garlic, and sprouts you can start to put together the rest of the low carb Brussel sprouts recipe.
STEP 4: In your dutch oven add 2 tablespoons of bacon grease and 2 tablespoons of butter.
STEP 5: Add the cut Brussel sprouts, then the garlic, and keep stirring it together. Add the garlic after the Brussel Sprouts so it won’t burn. Add salt and pepper to taste.
STEP 6: Now pour in the cream and stir.
STEP 7: Add the parmesan cheese and stir again. Here you really see the dish starting to come together.
STEP 8: Add the bacon and blend.
STEP 9: Sprinkle the mozzarella on top of the sprouts and stick the pan of keto Brussel sprouts in the oven.
Now that these keto Brussel sprouts with bacon are in the oven baking, the hard part is over.
STEP 10: Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes or so.
The Brussel sprouts will brown up a little more and the mozzarella cheese will melt and get creamy and gooey. You want the cheese to melt and look creamy and it’s best to take it out before it gets dark and burns.
Best Tips for Creamy Low Carb Brussel Sprouts
Here are a few simple tricks that will make your low carb Brussel sprouts come out perfect every time:
- Always rinse off the sprouts to get the dirt off. You don’t want any of that in your dish.
- Pull off any dead leaves and discard them. You want all the leaves to be green and fresh.
- When possible use fresh garlic, even though jar garlic is better than none.
- If you like the keto Brussel sprouts cheesier, feel free to add more parmesan or mozzarella or both of them.
- Make sure to preheat the oven before baking them. If you do, the low carb Brussel sprouts will heat up more evenly.
- You can also roast the Brussel sprouts in the oven with all of the same ingredients as on the stovetop. If you roast them make sure to put the Brussel sprouts cut side down flat on the tray so that they will brown up better. You also need to add the mozzarella and parmesan cheese toward the end of the cooking process.
- Feel free to add some salt and pepper to taste, but you won’t need much since the bacon is salty already.
How Do You Get the Bitter Taste Out of Brussel Sprouts?
At times Brussel sprouts can have a bitter taste that is unpleasant and we certainly don’t want any bitterness in these keto roasted Brussel sprouts. There is nothing complicated about getting that bitter taste out of the sprouts.
Once you start to cook them and they soften up the bitter taste will usually disappear, so no worries.
Other Diets This Recipe is Good For
A low carb or Keto diet are not the only ones this recipe is good for. Here are some more:
- Gluten-free – Another good recipe without any gluten.
- Nut-free – This is not a recipe that includes any nuts or nut flour.
- Sugar-free – There is no sugar in these sprouts which in turn makes them low carb and keto.
What to Serve with Garlic Parmesan Brussel Sprouts
These keto easy, cheesy Brussel sprouts are so hearty that they can even make a one-dish meal if you like. Most of the time though we eat them as a side dish.
Here are a few ideas for main courses that go perfectly with them:
How to Store Keto Brussel Sprouts
Storing Keto Brussel sprouts is very easy. If you have leftover creamy Brussel sprouts then just put them in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
Make sure you don’t leave them out too long as they have lots of dairy and should definitely be refrigerated.
How to Reheat Creamy Brussel Sprouts
When you want to reheat your creamy Brussel sprouts, the easiest way to do it is to stick them in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Quick and simple and the cheese comes out stringy.
You can also warm the creamy Brussel sprouts up on the stove on medium heat for about 5 minutes. If they start to stick, just add a couple of tablespoons of cream, or butter, and mix it in.
We think the best creamy Brussel sprouts taste even better the next day as the flavors really sink into the Brussel sprouts and they become even more delicious than the first day!
Can You Freeze Keto Brussel Sprouts?
It’s nice that you can freeze so many foods when they are leftover and your keto roasted Brussel sprouts are no exception.
The best way to freeze a Keto Brussel sprouts casserole is to store it in an airtight plastic container, and then put the container into a Ziploc bag for double protection.
When it comes time to take them out of the freezer, take them out the night before and let them thaw out slowly in the refrigerator until the next day. Then follow our reheating instructions above.
More Low Carb Side Dish Recipes
If you’re in the mood for some other Keto-friendly side dishes then try our:
- Creamiest Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- The BEST Keto Stuffing
- Keto Fried Cabbage with Bacon
- Roasted Butternut Squash
- Keto Creamed Spinach
All of them are Keto-friendly and low carb, and will have your friends raving!Print
Keto Brussel Sprouts are a delicious low carb side dish that you are going to want to learn how to make. They are easy, creamy & cheesy and will become one of your favorite veggie dishes to make for years to come. They have 3 wonderful flavors: garlic, cheese, and BACON! What more can you ask for?
- 11 cups Brussel Sprouts
- 1 pound, 16 slices, of Bacon
- 3 tsp Garlic
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Tbsp Bacon Grease
- The best way to cook your bacon in this recipe is on the stove. However, you can also bake it in the oven and get the same results. Just save the bacon grease and use it to fry the Brussel sprouts in later.
- Once the bacon is cooked, set it aside. When it cools off you can cut it up into bite-size pieces.
Cutting the Brussel sprouts:
- Next, cut up the garlic. Get a large cutting board and your favorite knife.
- Pull off any dead or brown leaves and throw them away.
- Hold the sprout in one hand and the knife in the other. Cut off the brown end at the bottom.
- Next cut the sprouts in half from top to bottom and place them in a large bowl.
- In your dutch oven add the bacon grease and the butter, melt and blend together.
- Add the cut Brussel sprouts, then the garlic, and keep stirring together. If you want to add salt and pepper this would be a good time to do so.
- Next, add the heavy cream and stir.
- Now add the parmesan and stir again.
- Add the bacon and blend.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella on top of the sprouts and stick keto Brussel sprouts casserole in the oven.
- Bake creamy garlic parmesan Brussel sprouts in the oven at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes or so.
- The Brussel sprouts will brown up a little more and the mozzarella will melt and get creamy.
3.4 NET CARBS Per Serving
Always rinse off the sprouts to get the dirt off. You don’t want any dirt in your dish.
Pull off any dead leaves and discard them. You want all of the leaves to be bright green.
When possible use fresh garlic, even though using jar garlic is better than none.
If you want your Keto Brussel sprouts more cheesy then feel free to add either extra mozzarella, parmesan, or both.
Preheat the oven so that the low carb Brussel sprouts will heat up more evenly.
Feel free to use salt and pepper to taste in your keto Brussel sprouts casserole to your taste, though the bacon should already have salt in it.
You can also roast the Brussel sprouts in the oven with all of the same ingredients as on the stovetop. If you roast them make sure to put the Brussel sprouts cut side down on the sheet so that they will brown up better and add the cheese when there are only about 10 minutes left to your cooking time.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Keto Brussel Sprouts, Low Carb Brussel Sprouts, Keto Brussel Sprouts Recipe, Low Carb Brussel Sprouts Recipe, Creamy Brussel Sprouts, Creamed Brussel Sprouts, Creamy Garlic Parmesan Brussel Sprouts, Garlic Parmesan Brussel Sprouts, Keto Brussel Sprouts with bacon, Keto Roasted Brussel Sprouts, Cheesy Brussel Sprouts, Keto Brussel Sprouts Casserole, Easy Keto Brussel Sprouts, Best Keto Brussel Sprouts, Cheesy Keto Brussel Sprouts, Easy Low Carb Brussel Sprouts, Best Low Carb Brussel Sprouts